VWCC will work in conjunction with Cortex Leadership Consulting to provide an all-day workshop specifically designed for young professionals. The experiences will assist in raising team member’s self-awareness of their behavior styles, help them build a vision for their career path, and provide instruction on how to build equity with other team members, those they report to, and their organizations in order to achieve their highest level outcomes. Cortex has worked with VWCC on several similar projects. Both organization are proud sponsors of the Roanoke CoLab. Through personalized assessments and hands-on, interactive exercises, Cortex executive coaches and trainers will provide an effective, relevant and practical workshop to develop participant’s skills in communication with other team member’s and those they report to.
Specific curriculum items can include:
Simple questions like “What do you want your career to look like and why do you want that?” can create quite the silence from young professionals. The answers to those questions, though, are at the heart of their motivation and engagement for their advancement in their organization. Getting clear about the current reality of where you are now, what your strengths are, and what steps you need to take to get to your desired outcome can create the emotional discipline necessary for your path forward in the organization you serve.
You will learn:
- The difference between a goal and a desired outcome or vision along with importance of each to your success.
- How to create a vision for your future.
- How to align your personal and professional goals for more deeply satisfying accomplishments and more tangible successes.
Make Shift Happen – Moving from Drama to Empowerment
This interactive presentation will explain the difference between a successful and an unsuccessful mindset. Using the Empowerment Dynamic you will learn how to more effectively communicate during any conflict. More importantly, you and your team will learn how to steer clear of the Dreaded Drama Triangle. You will learn:
- How to create more powerful outcomes
- The triggers for unsuccessful outcomes and how to avoid them
- The question you should be asking yourself and others to direct a situation towards a greater goal
- How to identify which orientation you or someone else is in during a conversation and how to achieve your desired outcomes
- The reason why some information sticks and some doesn’t and how to achieve better results in your training and learning experiences.
- How anxiety drives reactions ad how to stop it
This work is based on the book by David Emerald, TED: The Empowerment Dynamic
Your Special Style
You will complete a DISC assessment and bring the report to your group session. This 25-page report will give you an understanding of your behavioral styles and offer suggestions on how to develop specific areas for higher levels of effectiveness when working with your team and others. This assessment can also provide a window of understanding to who they report to, for the purpose of more effective coaching and development of the participant.
You will experience the Cortex Obstacle Course during this course of study wherein you will find ways to improve your communication skills. You will also learn:
- Which of the four styles: Driver, Influencer, Supporter, or Calculator, you tend to use when interacting with others.
- How to use this knowledge to increase your awareness of giving and receiving feedback.
- How to use your understanding of the DISC behavioral style model to more effectively communicate with people you report to.
- Increase your self-knowledge: how you respond to conflict, what motivates you, what causes you stress and how you solve problems.
- Learn how to adapt your own style to get along better with others.
- Foster constructive and creative group interactions.
- Facilitate better teamwork and minimize team conflict.
- Manage more effectively by understanding the dispositions and priorities of team members.
The Currency of Trust
Building and maintaining trust is at the root of building equity in any relationship. Add to the trust bank account and you’ve earned possible advancement and great team work. Make withdrawals and it could be game over. The Currency of Trust is a powerful tool which has multiple applications in the workplace. You will learn the 6 elements of trust, which include Sincerity, Involvement, Competence, Standards, Reliability, and Time. You’ll learn how to:
- Communicate more effectively with who you report to, your team members, internal, and external customers.
- More effectively build trust with different behavioral styles and different generations
- Identify where trust has broken down and relationships have stalled or gotten stuck
- How the lack of trust may be holding you back from reaching your potential
- How to rebuild trust when it’s broken or damaged
The results of the workshop will be measured with an interactive testing program called goMonti. goMonti will send questions via SMS (texting) to the participants of the program as retention tools to help them retain course material. Participants normally receive 3 questions per week for about one month after training, that are related to the course material. The system will track what participants have retained and how they are using the learning in their work environments. Cortex utilizes this program to ensure the lessons of the day “stick”.