I had a friend whose famous response to “how are you doing?” was always “I am stressed for success!” with a big smile on her face. I would imagine that right now many of you feel the same way (maybe minus the smile) as you begin the process of closing out the year. Adding to the long list you promised yourself you would do before the end of the year probably seems ridiculous.
Stay with me for a minute. The two things I’m about to describe will not only help you zero in on the most important things to get done before the end of the year, they will also make you feel good, and set up a less stressful next one.
- Do a Wrap Up Round. This is a process where you take time to reflect on the year and ask yourself and perhaps your team some questions like:
- Will we achieve our desired outcomes for the year, or will we by December 31st?
- Did we reach our goals?
- What went right?
- What didn’t?
- What patterns in our behaviors emerged during the year?
- Knowing what we know now, what will we do differently in 2018?
- What should we start doing in 2018?
- What should we stop doing?
- What do we need to continue doing that worked?